The effort to establish a Mennonite Church in Ghana began in 1955 when Ghanaian George Thompson learned about Mennonites at a conference in Europe. A year later, George was baptized and commissioned to establish a Mennonite church. The church currently is composed of 26 congregations in different regions of the country.
Mennonite Board of Missions, predecessor agency of Mennonite Mission Network, collaborated with the Ghana Mennonite Church through resident missionaries for 30 years beginning in the late 1950s. They worked in the areas of health, biblical and theological training, and church development. Mission Network personnel continue to relate to the church, collaborating mostly in the area of biblical and theological training for church leaders.