Carlsbad is a small town in southeastern New Mexico. The climate is dry and mild. The famous Carlsbad Caverns are close by, as well as other recreational activities, including affordable golfing. The local Mennonite church is small, so it offers many possibilities to become actively involved.
Volunteer opportunities in Carlsbad include:
· CARC Farm, 902 W. Cherry Ln., Carlsbad, NM 88220 - Carolyn Olson, 575-887-3343
· B & G Club, 1602 Fox St., Carlsbad, NM 88220 - 575-885-8449
· Habitat for Humanity, Carlsbad, NM 88220 - Pat Donovan, 575-302-8611
· Lakeview Nursing Home, 1905 W. Pierce, Carlsbad, NM 88220 - Kenni Barnet, 575-885-3161
· Living Desert State Park, 1504 Miehls Dr., Carlsbad, NM 88220 - K.C. Sparks, coordinator for volunteers, 575-887-5516
· Public Library, Mermod St., Carlsbad, NM 88220 - 575-885-6776
· Soup Kitchen, 402 S. Alameda, Carlsbad, NM 88220 - Irene Roberts, 575-887-1229
· Jonah’s House-Food Pantry, 512 W. Stevens, Carlsbad, NM 88220 - Mary Ann Marrs, 575-887-5904
· Transitional Housing - Geri Cunningham, 575-887-3033
· Golden Services – 800 W. Pierce St. Carlsbad, NM 88220 - Shannon, 575-234-3335
· Individual home repair – as needed
Lodging: RV parks and long-term motel arrangements are available. Opportunities run from Christmas through March.
Twice a month, we have a Sunday fellowship meal at the church. Persons working at the soup kitchen may eat there at noon, for free. Otherwise, SOOPers are on their own for meals.
There is heavy demand for RV spaces due to oil field business. One should call and make reservations ahead of time.