Founded in 1983 as a free health clinic for Latino immigrants recently displaced by conflict, today La Clínica is known throughout the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area as a dependable source of integrated health care and health education for over 8,000 men, women and children.
La Clínica provides culturally and linguistically appropriate services, such as:
- primary care and mental health and substance abuse services,
- HIV/AIDS support, from testing and counseling, to linkages to medical care and social services
- support services including language services, entitlement and case management programs,
- and health education and outreach to its target population: low-income, uninsured or under insured men, women, children and adolescents in the Latino community.
Summary of Duties
Volunteers have played an instrumental role in the shaping and growth of La Clinica from its inception. Today, volunteers fill important roles to aid programs and services, lighten administrative tasks, support community events, and everything that falls between. The Volunteer Coordinator position will be filled by a volunteer corp member who can help recruit and fill volunteer and internship opportunities that align with La Clinica's strategic directions and programmatic priorities.
Additionally, the Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with the Development team to develop, implement, and foster long-term organizational sustainability and organizational wellness. This position is both internal facing and provides critical support to La Clinica's management and externally builds important relationships with community partners and institutions.
- Research and evaluate possible volunteer opportunities that could help advance La Clinica's needs most effectively (competitive internships; patient support; service teams, advocacy, etc)
- Help to develop communications and strategy targeted at informing and engaging larger volunteer community and cultivating as ambassadors of the organization;
- Re-connect and engage LCDP founding volunteers channeling into new ways they can continue to advance LCDP's efforts.
- Engage in community outreach and recruitment of prospective volunteers and individual supporters;
- Recruit, train and oversee volunteers for La Clinica's annual Fiesta del Barrio event (cultural block party with 70 volunteers) and annual Posada (Christmas community event with 35+ volunteers)
- Support developing tracking tools to monitor and evaluate effectiveness of LCDP's volunteer placements; develop template to communicate impact of volunteers.
- Write and disseminate internal monthly volunteer e-bulletin.
- Sit on internal event planning committee and wellness committee
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree. Working as a volunteer in a non-profit; Communications/writing experience; and/or Fundraising experience highly desired;
- Bilingual English/Spanish required;
- Excellent project management and organizational skills;
- Remain professional at all times with exceptional work ethic;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- A team player that also works well autonomously;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office required;
- Strong customer service skills; energized through building relationships;
- Database and Social Media Skills