Briya Public Charter School is a wonderful school for immigrants to become better integrated into the United States. Briya provides a family education module that gives its students the skills they need to be better parents and search for higher education. It's a great place for volunteers who are interested in working with immigrants and adult education. The caring staff provides a great work environment for volunteers. Immediately when I started working at Briya, I could feel the camaraderie among the staff. Briya has a very welcoming work environment. My supervisor takes a personal interest in how I'm doing.
Family Literacy School Nurse Functions:
- Provide hearing and visual screenings for children over the age of 3.
- Provide consultations and home visits to students.
- Assist adults with obtaining immunizations and health insurance.
Medical Assistant (MA) Program Functions:
- Develop lesson plans and Smartboard presentations for the MA modules.
- Assist with classroom instruction including leading small group activities and teaching MA students lab skills.
- Assist with MA students clinical internships.
- Tutor MA students in reading, math, and/or writing and lead small group study sessions to prepare MA students for quizzes, exams, and the CMA exam.
What is Fulfilling/Challenging about this Position:
Ask staff, teachers, and Americorps Members what is great about serving at Briya and they usually mention the mission, the families, and the staff and Americorps Members. Our families represent all corners of the world. About 80% are Spanish speaking, and 97% are low-income. Parents are highly motivated in their endeavor to learn English, literacy, computers, and parenting skills. Staff and AmeriCorps Members are committed to the mission and work at Briya because they can truly make a difference in the lives of the families we serve. What really sets Briya apart is that the teachers, staff, Americorps Members, students, and the board have built strong bonds with each other creating a supportive, family-like environment where everyone has a voice. The school utilizes a team-oriented, strengths-based approach where teachers and staff are continuously striving to implement best practices.
What is rewarding and challenging about the School Nurse position is that you are working with the entire student body at three different sites. You have to be flexible with your schedule because every day is different.
Educational or Other Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in nursing preferred.
- Teaching experience and knowledge or certification in Microsoft Office and Windows preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English required and Spanish preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
On-site training will be provided.
Descriptors for the Ideal Volunteer:
- Takes initiative
- Ability to work on a team