Faith in Place is an interfaith, environmental justice nonprofit organization. Our mission is to empower Illinois people of all faiths to be leaders in caring for the Earth, by providing resources to educate, connect, and advocate for healthier communities.
Faith in Place partners with houses of worship to address environmental issues through four program areas: 1) Energy & Climate Change; 2) Sustainable Food & Land Use; 3) Water Preservation; and, 4) Advocacy.
We mobilize faith leaders and faith community members to make a positive impact through "Green Teams," which are dedicated groups of people who meet monthly to plan and implement sustainability initiatives within their house of worship, and expand the impact outward in the larger community.
Since 1999, we have touched over 1,000 houses of worship throughout Illinois by working with them on various projects to care for the land, water, and air.
Faith in Place's Communications Support person works closely with the Communications Director to advance the organization's mission by creating materials that educate people about environmental justice issues, inspire people to take action at their houses of worship, motivate people to attend events, and activate to participate in our programs.
A specific responsibility will be traveling to houses of worship of diverse faiths to interview faith leaders and Green Team members and write blog posts about their Earth care initiatives and their faith perspective on environmental issues to be published on the Faith in Place website (https://www.faithinplace.org/news).
This will be an exciting opportunity for the Communications Support person to lift up what the house of worship is already doing and identify and offer opportunities for further engagement. Initially, the Communications Support person will be accompanied by another staff member to these meetings for training, but will eventually be expected to independently arrange meetings with faith communities identified in consultation with the team. The ideal applicant will be outgoing and enthusiastic about exploring the city and meeting interesting people of diverse faiths.
This position will work out of the Chicago office and will require some travel by public transit and possibly rental car. Travel costs will be reimbursed.
The position involves a mixture of time spent in the office writing and on the computer, as well as time spent visiting faith communities for interviews and attending events. Attendance may be requested at events in the evenings or on weekends a few times per month, with flexibility and respect for the applicant's schedule and obligations to MVS, and comp time will be provided.
- Collaborate with Communications Director and Outreach staff to identify faith communities/Green Teams to feature in blog posts
- Arrange in-person meetings or phone calls to interview faith community members
- Take photos/videos of Earth care projects at faith communities visited
- Write and edit blog posts highlighting the environmental impact of faith communities' actions and about Faith in Place programs, events, and impact
- Assist with updating website content, including blog posts and events calendar
- Update the Faith Partners Database with information gathered in interviews
- Work with the Communications Director to implement the organization's Communications Plan
- Update social media channels regularly with content to educate and inspire partner faith communities
- Assist with authoring and sending eblast messages to supporters through our database
- Attend special Faith in Place events (i.e. advocacy day to the state capitol, the Green Team Summit conference) to take photos, post to social media, and assist in other ways as needed
- Create basic flyers, presentations, brochures, videos, and graphics to support programs and events
- Collaborate with the Communications Director to write press releases about events and house of worship accomplishments
- Work with staff to develop curricula, presentations, and seminars about key environmental justice issues and solutions
- Assist with tracking digital communication metrics and updating monthly reports
- Other duties as needed to support the mission and vision of Faith in Place
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills with an inspiring, engaging, and professional tone
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in-person
- Ability to respectfully engage with people of different faiths
- Strong organizational ability and experience meeting established goals within a tight timeframe
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to think creatively and suggest new ideas and approaches
- Intermediate skills with social media, presentations, word processing, spreadsheets, and internet
- Experience with databases, website content management systems, graphic design, video editing, and media relations is a plus
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Car is not required but license to drive preferred
- A demonstrated commitment to Faith in Place's mission and values