New York Cares provides a lifeline of support to New York City's most vulnerable residents by developing and managing volunteer programs that respond to pressing community needs. As the city's leading volunteer management organization, we annually engage more than 60,000 corporate and individual volunteers in service to 400,000 at-risk New Yorkers.
Each year, New York Cares works with over 100 community partners, including homeless shelters, schools and nonprofit organizations, to provide holiday gifts for children, teens, and seniors living in poverty; many of whom would not otherwise receive gifts during the holiday season. To accomplish this, New York Cares collects and screens more than 35,000 gift requests and sends them to volunteers who purchase, wrap, and send the gifts to our partners. This year marks the 30th Anniversary of the Winter Wishes Program.
Corporate Volunteer Engagement
New York Cares creates customized corporate volunteer events for approximately 150 corporate sponsors throughout the year. Each of these events engage between 10 and 200 corporate volunteers in service, and are designed to meet pressing community needs at sites across New York City. The projects range from the revitalization of New York City parks, gardens, and schools, to children's field trips and in-classroom education and recreation activities, and provide valuable resources and experiences where they are needed most.
Reporting to the Officer of School Success and Family Programs, the Winter Wishes and Events Associate will play an essential role in the launch and execution of the 2018 Winter Wishes program, with a special interest in planning and facilitating customized volunteer projects for New York Cares sponsor companies throughout the year. During the Winter Wishes campaign period, this includes the support and management of the letter screening and letter matching process for New York Cares sponsor companies. Outside of the Winter Wishes campaign period, this includes supporting our Corporate Volunteer Engagement initiative through the planning and facilitation of customized corporate volunteer events across New York City.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Supporting Winter Wishes letter intake, screening, and matching process
- Assisting with trainings for volunteer leaders and community partners
- Planning and facilitating letter reading projects for volunteers and New York Cares sponsor companies
- Assisting with program debrief and the evaluation of volunteers and community partners, analyzing the results to provide suggestions for programmatic improvement
- Taking on the role of team leader at volunteer projects
- Planning and facilitating customized corporate volunteer events for New York Cares sponsor companies, including revitalization, children's education, and children's recreation projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Professional demeanor, both in person and on the telephone
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to juggle concurrent assignments and prioritize accordingly
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Willing to work outdoors in all climates, and able to lift/carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 35 pounds for events
- Flexible nature and the ability to maintain a good sense of humor in potentially unpredictable situations
- Demonstrated commitment to community service and volunteerism
- At least two-years toward a bachelor's degree
- General knowledge of MS Office, specifically Excel, and comfort learning new database systems
New York Cares – 65 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York, NY (Manhattan)
MVS Unit - 314 E 19th St, New York, NY (Manhattan)