Director of Finance
Directly Supervises: Finance Assistants, Finance Manager
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff in the Finance Department
- Provide supervision for MC USA Executive Board finance staff
- Oversees the daily workflow of the Finance Department and meets regularly with the Finance team to ensure collaboration and consistency
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations ensuring employees are successful in professional development
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with Mennonite Mission Network employee policy
- Give leadership to the development of vision, priorities, and strategy for financial services within Mennonite Mission Network that promote efficiency, cost-effectiveness and organizational productivity
- Design and lead a long-term and annual system-wide budget development process. Monitor progress and changes
- Develop system-wide infrastructure with adequate capacity for Finance
- Create and manage financial accounting and reporting systems for the organization
- Assist the Sr Executive of Operations and other senior executives to accurately evaluate the financial condition of the organization by providing periodic financial reports
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the audit committee
- Update and implement all necessary business and accounting controls and practices; maintain the finance department's overall policy and procedure manual
- Manage cash flow and cash reserves and ensure compliance with Mission Network Board policies
- Manage relationships with banking and financial institutions
- Supervise the preparation of payroll
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and laws related to payroll, tax and contributions
- Supervise the management of investments and serve on the Investment Committee
- Work with the Benefits Coordinator to manage the organization wide employee benefit cost implications and planning
- Provide technical advice to MC USA Executive Board finance staff
- Work with the Sr Executive for Operations to manage the purchase and sale of real estate
- An effective leader with proven financial management capability
- Vision, ability to see big picture and deal with complexity
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills
- Strong creative skills to develop new and innovative solutions
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to forge effective, productive, and trusting relationships
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Proficient with financial management software and technology, including Microsoft Office
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
Preferred Education and Experience:
- A bachelor's degree in finance or accounting is required, and a master's degree in business administration (MBA) or a professional designation such as certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA) is preferred.
- Prior experience in not-for-profit work preferred
- 5+ years experience in a related position
- Occasional travel required
This position requires manual dexterity, and may require the ability to walk, bend, stoop or stand as necessary. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Passion for and about God's reconciling mission to the world.
- Committed to Jesus Christ.
- Embraces and lives the mission, vision and values of Mennonite Mission Network and helps to create an environment in which they flourish.
- Willing to contribute to the strategic direction of Mennonite Mission Network as an organization in innovative, positive, and collaborative ways.
- Committed to denominational and agency goals of anti-racist action. Has received anti-racism training within the past three years or is willing to participate in that training within one year of employment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.