Director of Marketing and Communication
Resourcing and Engagement
To lead and supervise Mennonite Mission Network marketing and communication staff and functions and to manage the collection and use of constituent data for maximum effectiveness.
Senior Executive of Resourcing and Engagement
Also reports to:
: Resourcing and Engagement team (member), Convention planning team (member)
1. Develop agency marketing plan. Give leadership to forming a communication strategy that best serves the current vision, goals and priorities of the organization.
- Assure collaborative unity on the public identity/image for Mennonite Mission Network.
- Develop strategic communications in collaboration with executive leadership, such as, in crisis situations, including being agency spokesperson if required.
- Collaborate on communications efforts with MCUSA Executive Board communications leadership.
- Collect internal and external data to learn about current trends and changing sentiment across society and constituent churches.
2. Lead the marketing and communication department
- Collaboratively create department goals and strategies and assure they are clearly communicated and accepted by all team members.
- Motivate staff to work productively and creatively towards department and organizational priorities.
- Engender an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust that encourages innovation.
- Evaluate staff performance, respond to staff needs, and develop the skills and leadership abilities of staff members.
- Manage department finances through budget creation and monitoring and approving expenditures.
3. Lead the Mission Network communication functions of the bi-annual church wide assembly.
4. Lead in development and implementation of the anti-racism guidelines of the marketing and communication department.
5. Lead in collaboration to ensure a system for efficient internal and external communication flow to meet the needs of the organization.
6. Participate in the Mission Network Monthly Meeting planning group.
7. Lead in collaboration with Advancement Leaders and department directors to develop and implement an annual marketing and communication plan for the organization.
8. Represent Mission Network in congregations and other constituent groups as requested.
9. Demonstrate Christian commitment and the spirit of the Mission Network.
a. Participate in all-staff meetings, and chapel as possible, contributing positively to corporate spiritual life and office values.
b. Cultivate mutually transforming relationships.
- Nurture one's Christian life and call by participating in a local congregation.
10. Demonstrate commitment to Mission Network's goals of anti-racist action and intercultural competence.
a. Embrace diversity in relationships, innovation and learning.
b. Lead in developing and implementing anti-racism guidelines for the department.
c. Network enthusiastically and appropriately with racial-ethnic constituents and build positive intercultural relationships.
- Passion for and about God's reconciling mission to the world.
- Embraces and lives the core values of Mennonite Mission Network and supports an environment in which they flourish.
- Committed to Jesus Christ.
- In harmony with Anabaptist belief and practice.
- Committed to denominational and agency goals of anti-racist action. Has received anti-racism / intercultural competency training within the past three years or is willing to participate in training within one year of employment.
Skills and qualifications
- Strong knowledge of marketing and communications theory and strategies, as well as resource development and fund-raising.
- Has achieved a bachelor's degree. A major in communications, public relations, marketing or a related field is preferred. Five years' experience in communications, marketing or public relations is recommended.
- Understands congregational systems and how that impacts communication and marketing strategies.
- Computer proficiency, including keyboarding, word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Able to lead a staff team effectively, cultivate positive relationships, manage resources and implement projects.
- Compassionate and positive. Willing to share the load.
- Spanish or French fluency is a plus.
- Able to relate well to people, listen perceptively, and elicit participation.
- Works independently, with initiative, decisiveness and good judgment.
- Willingness to be flexible in work schedule, giving extra time when needed.
- Able and willing to travel 30 to 45 days per year. (staff meetings, convention, continuing education, visits to congregations, and ministry site visits)
This position requires manual dexterity, and the ability to walk, bend, stoop or stand as necessary. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of required activities, duties or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.